June 21, 2017 marked the beginning of the summer solstice – AKA, the official start of summer. As a driver, it’s important that you take care of your car – and yourself – during the summer season. Take a moment to jot down these handy tips to make your driving gig more comfortable and safe.
- A Quick Way to Cool Down: The summer air is often too hot to help cool your car down when you get inside. What to do? This quick and efficient technique will help:
- Start your car
- Roll down your windows (front and back)
- Turn A/C on high on the coldest setting
- Drive for 2 minutes, letting the car cool
- Roll up your windows (see video for timing)
- Set your A/C to your desired setting
To see a demonstration, visit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=767LV1GTW-I
- Frequently Check Your Tire Pressure: It is important, especially in extreme hot (and cold) temperatures to check your PSI with a reliable Do you know where to find the manufacturer’s recommended (not maximum) PSI? Check the side of your driver’s door jam, in the glove compartment or in the owner’s manual.
A Goodyear executive says, “Even though consumers can simply and quickly check the air pressure of their tires, it becomes a neglected practice by many. That’s too bad, because the four patches of rubber that come in contact with the road surface are vitally important to the performance of the vehicle. They are key for acceleration, lateral traction and braking grip.”
P.S. You should also ensure that you have enough tread and replace your tires when necessary. It’s an essential expense and remember, as a small business owner, is a tax write-off. We partnered with Jiffy Lube and Goodyear / Just Tires, so you can get a discounted rate, too!
- Regularly Check your Systems & Fluids: Car maintenance is vital, especially in extreme temperatures. Remember to stay up to date on all services, which include but aren’t limited to, checking fluid levels, A/C coolant, filters and more.
- Break Down? Make sure you have Roadside Assistance: It is stressful when you break down, but it is even more difficult when you work in the gig economy. We want to make it as easy on you as possible. DDI recently partnered with a roadside assistance company called HONK to help get you back on the road as quickly and as painlessly as possible. It’s as simple as downloading the HONK app, selecting what’s wrong from a menu of choices (jump start, locked out, flat tire, out of fuel and towing), and then it will dispatch out to the closest tow truck, help truck or car to come help. It’s as easy as that! As one of our valued drivers, you also get a discounted rate using the DDI code.
- Shade Matters: This may seem like an obvious tip but when in a hurry, it’s easy to forget or neglect: Don’t underestimate the power of shade. These 3 types of shade can help regulate your car’s temperature when the A/C isn’t running:
- Park in the actual shade. The less direct heat on your vehicle, the better.
- Have a reflective sunshade for your windshield when you park.
- If your back windows are not tinted, ShadeSox can help keep the temps cool(er) in your backseat. Check out the reviews on Amazon: http://bit.ly/ShadeSox
- Just in Case… Stock your Summer Emergency Kit: It’s up to you what you want to put in your emergency kit for the summer season, but here are a few recommendations from reputable blogs that you can choose from:
Quick *Bonus* Tip during Hot Temps: Don’t leave your smartphone in your car – it can easily overheat and potentially fry.
Do you have a summer tip that didn’t make this list? Share them with us on our Facebook Page! We’d love to hear from you.
If you’re interested in becoming a partner with DDI, please contact: 888-334-9675 ext. 0 or you can email us at email@example.com For more information or online registration, simply go to: https://ddiwork.com/drivers/sign-up/