Big-box Retailer Partners With DDI To Start Grocery Delivery Program
With a focus on speed and cost-saving, one of the nation's top big-box retailers was looking to grow and scale a grocery delivery program across its footprint. The retailer is a leader in eCommerce and brick and mortar stores, but sought additional expertise when starting their very own grocery delivery program.
Delivery options were already at the retailer through third-party apps and the retailer was ready for a competitive solution that allowed them to leverage their large footprint. The importance of having an ‘in-house’ solution became more and more apparent as those third party apps quickly spiked in popularity. The retailer was convinced to find a partner that had experience in placing and working alongside 1099 drivers--and that partner was Delivery Drivers, Inc (DDI).
How can the retailer scale a 1099 delivery model and rapidly partner with thousands of drivers?
Considering the retailer has over 4,500 stores, they needed a long-term partner with expertise in working with driver-partners in a 1099 model. With DDI’s knowledge of the gig economy and the nuances of working with 1099 driver-partners, the retailer knew they found the right fit.
The quality of driver-partners took center stage during the setup phase with the retailer. DDI focused on accurate screening questions, quick background checks, and a highly-targeted approach to advertise driver positions. Addressing the retailers concerns on deposits, unemployment, and potential driver accidents also became a top priority.
Grocery Delivery Program
- Rollout Plan with State-by-State Considerations - Building a rollout plan required unique consideration for State laws, the retailer’s goals and the availability of driver-partners. Each State and many municipalities have their own laws when it comes to compliance so addressing these concerns during rollout became crucial. Collaborative goal setting with the retailer allowed for a new store onboarding process that took 3 weeks to get the necessary number driver-partners ready for each launch.
- Custom Branding, Fitted to the Client - It was important the delivery program looked like an extension of the retailer, rather than a different company. DDI was able to administer all of the company’s recruiting and onboarding needs under an extension of their brand. This created the continuity the client needed.
- Targeted Recruiting and Selection - The footprint of the retailer and the immense need for driver-partners means DDI provided tailored recruiting efforts by region to supply thousands of drivers. DDI expanded its number of recruiters and additionally, opened up new channels to broaden how recruitment occurs--all of which scaled to ensure the retailer has enough drivers for every location.
- Quick Screening and Enrollment - Getting drivers on the road quickly was an important piece of the puzzle to meet driver demands. DDI integrates with Checkr for a higher level of compliance, accuracy, and speed. Leveraging the best tools available allowed the average enrollment to take two days on average.
- Deposits and Accounting - Tracking drivers’ expenses on a daily basis allows us to answer questions and troubleshoot potential issues. Driver-partners receive their own weekly profit statement.
- Risk Management and Legal Expertise - Delivery Drivers, Inc. balances the interests between the retailer and driver-driver partners through state-by-state expertise and programs like occupational accident insurance. By approaching risk and legal from both perspectives, DDI is able to manage an ecosystem of driver-partners stress-free.
With hundred of stores and thousands of drivers in the program today, DDI is onboarding even more stores every month. With a dedicated team of DDI account managers servicing these stores and drivers every day, our employees bring their expertise to help driver-partners and the retailer continue to grow. Whether your business spans the country, or is a local mom & pop shop, Delivery Drivers, Inc. has the expertise to implement 1099 delivery programs. Contact us to learn more about our custom, last-mile labor solutions.
Learn More On Our Grocery Delivery Program